EMR Licensing Exam
- Licensing exam is required for all new EMR graduates, except for those who are licensed in another province
- After 3 failed attempts, applicant must take refresher course
- Cost: $500 for each attempt, payable to SCoP upon registering
- Pay by Visa or Mastercard when applying online. You may also pay by money order, certified cheque, employer cheque, or e-transfer (to firstname.lastname@example.org). No personal cheques
Registration and payment must be received by SCoP before 4 p.m. on the day they are due.
- Go to the Applicant Portal to apply
- Must be completed by 4 p.m. on the due date
- Certificate of completion of EMR program
- Name of program instructor
- Date of completion
- Payment ($500 each attempt)
The passing mark for the licensing examinations is 80%.
- Exam results can take up to 4 weeks to be processed. Please do not call the office before this time
- Exam results will be emailed to you (pass or fail; no marks will be given to applicants)
The EMR Licensing Exams are scheduled for Regina and Saskatoon on the dates below from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
|2020 EMR Exam Dates||Deadline for Registration|
|August 10, 2020||July 27, 2020 at 4pm|
|October 5, 2020||September 28, 2020 at 4pm|
|December 7, 2020||November 23, 2020 at 4pm|
The written examination is made up of 90 multiple choice questions. In addition to standard care, the examination includes questions on protocols and procedures. The questions are based on the following:
- Paramedic Clinical Practice Protocols
- National Occupational Competency Profiles for Paramedics (NOCP)
- Saskatchewan Jurisprudence relevant to the practice of paramedicine including The Paramedics Act, Regulatory Bylaws Pursuant to The Paramedics Act and relevant sections of The Traffic Safety Act.
- Red Cross EMR textbook
- St. John Ambulance EMR textbook
The blueprint for the EMR exam:
- Area 1 – Professional Responsibility – 5%
- Area 2 – Communication – 4%
- Area 3 – Health and Safety – 5%
- Area 4 – Assessment and Diagnostics – 30%
- Area 5 – Therapeutics – 24%
- Area 6 – Integration – 26%
- Area 7 – Transportation – 4%
- Area 8 – Health promotion and public safety – 3%
Approximately 15% of the questions have a direct reference to Saskatchewan protocols.
Important things to know:
- Only candidates pre-registered for the exam will be permitted to write.
- You are required to present photo identification to the examination proctor prior to beginning the exam.
- You will be permitted 3 hours to complete the examination.
- Scrap paper and answer sheets will be provided. Please bring two #2 pencils along.
- With the exception of a basic calculator, no electronic devices will be allowed into the examination room. You will be required to leave your cellphone, iPod, etc. at the door.
- Cheating during the examination will result in an automatic failure, and may result in suspension from accessing future exams.
- Three attempts at the written exam are permitted. There must be at least 15 days between attempts.
- Cancellation policy:
- To cancel your registration, call (306) 585-0145 or email email@example.com
- If a cancellation is made more than 2 business days before the exam, the full cost will be refunded.
- If you cancel less than 2 business days before the exam, 50% of the cost will be refunded.
- No refund will be provided for no-shows unless failure to take the exam is due to a death in the immediate family, sudden incapacitating illness or injury, or other circumstances deemed by the Registrar to be equivalent. Candidates have 10 business days from the exam date to submit a refund request, with supporting documentation, to the Registrar outlining the circumstances which prevented them from taking the exam. If approved, 50% of the price may be refunded.