Individuals trained at a program that is not approved by SCoP, or in provinces or territories that do not have a governing body, or out of country applicants, are required to complete an equivalency assessment. Please contact us to begin this process. Requirements are outlined below.
Requirements at a glance
- Initial Registration application online, which includes:
- equivalency assessment documents
- mandatory certificates
- photo plus proof of identity
- certificate of completion (EMRs only)
- Criminal record check with vulnerable sector query (original)
- Transcript (PCP or ACP only; original)
- Licensing exam
Read all instructions thoroughly!
Acquiring a licence from SCoP includes sending some items by postal mail and others online with the Initial Registration form. The online form requires several items to be attached to it and it can only be sent once. Applications are not processed until payment and all requirements have been received by SCoP.
2. Member Account and Initial Registration form
All members need a Member Account, used for sending information and documents to the College.
Create a new Member Account here >
Your Initial Registration form is in your Member Account, under the Applications tab.
This form will ask you to attach the items listed in steps 3, 4, and 5 below.
3. Education Equivalency Assessment
The equivalency assessment involves comparing the applicant’s education, training, certificates, and work experience to the National Occupational Competency Profiles (NOCP). The NOCP profiles document can be downloaded at: http://paramedic.ca/site/nocp/
All documents submitted to the College are required to be in English. Any documents that have been translated must be signed by a lawyer or notary public verifying the information is accurate. Letters from employers need to contain company letterhead or watermarks, and must be signed by a manager or supervisor.
The applicant is responsible for providing the College with the following documentation in order to process the equivalency assessment:
- Indicate the methods used to deliver the material (eg. lectures, home study, lab computer managed learning)
- A detailed course outline with learning objectives and timelines for didactic, clinical and ambulance components. Include the number of hours and/or weeks in each component of the program.
- Bibliography listing all of the text books used as well as copies of all printed resource material.
- The methods and pertinent documentation used to evaluate the student’s competence in the didactic, clinical and ambulance components of the program.
- Minimum competency requirements for instructors and preceptors
- Official confirmation of successful completion of the education program including original certificates or certified true copies; official confirmation of attendance and transcript marks.
Applicants at the EMR level should attach a digital copy (scan or photo) of their certificate to their Initial Registration form.
PCP and ACP applicants should download the Request for Transcripts form (pdf) and have their educational institution(s) forward original transcripts directly to SCoP at 202 - 1900 Albert Street, Regina SK S4P 4K8
4. Mandatory Certificates
Copies of the following mandatory certificates should be attached to your Initial Registration form.
BLS "C" (HCP)
BLS "C" (HCP)
ITLS or PHTLS - Basic
BLS "C" (HCP)
ITLS or PHTLS -Advanced
PALS or PEPP Advanced
All certificates must be current and not expired.
5. Photo for Identification Card
For your member identification card, please attach a head and shoulders photo to your Initial Registration form in .jpg format. Selfies against a plain background are acceptable as long as you look professional. Shirt with a collar or a plain t shirt without logos are recommended. In uniform preferred.
In addition, a statement by a manager or notary public stating that you are the person in the photo, or a copy of your government-issued photo identification, should also be attached.
6. Criminal Record Check
Send by mail to SCoP a criminal record check including vulnerable sector query completed by a police officer within the past 6 months. You must submit the original criminal record check; a copy will not be accepted. Mail it to:
Saskatchewan College of Paramedics
202 - 1900 Albert Street
Regina SK S4P 4K8
7. Saskatchewan Jurisprudence
As part of your online application, you will be required to sign a declaration that you understand the Saskatchewan Legislation framework and protocols for your scope of practice based on reading the following:
This reading includes your annual renewal requirements. Please ensure that you have read and understand these documents before submitting your application.
8. New Applicant Fee
The initial processing fee is $50, plus the applicable practicing fees for the year in which you wish to be licensed, plus the equivalency assessment fee for programs which are not accredited.
Payment is made by calling the SCoP office.
9. Licensing Exam
All new applicants must successfully complete the licensing exam. See Licensing Exam Info to register for your exam. Applicants who have not yet completed the exam may apply for a restricted licence at an additional cost. Members with a restricted licence may work under the direct supervision of an unrestricted member at their licence level or higher as they wait to pass their exam. More info on restricted licences >
Length of Process
The length of time it takes to process the equivalency assessment is largely dependent on the applicant’s ability to provide the College with the required documentation, and pay the fees. Once all the necessary documents are received, the process typically takes less than four weeks.