Current Restrictions and 2021 Licence Renewal
Print this memo »
The Saskatchewan College of Paramedics (SCoP) is aware that multiple training sessions and certification classes have been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. As there is no way to adequately determine when the COVID-19 pandemic will end, we anticipate that some members may be unable to fully meet licence renewal and/or outstanding restriction requirements.
Members with Current Restrictions:
The College has decided that restrictions arising from the 2020 renewal that relate to CME credits and certifications will be removed from the 2020 licences.
All Members for 2021 Renewal:
1. Certifications: requirement waived for 2021
- Members will not be required to provide proof of current certifications (i.e.: BLS HCP, PALS, PEPP, etc.) for the 2021 renewal.
2. Expiry Dates on Certificates: requirement waived for 2021
- All member profiles will be updated by SCoP with a December 31, 2021 expiry date (or later if expiry date exceeds that date) for their certificates for the 2021 renewal.
3. Continuing Medical Education: requirement waived for 2021
- The requirements for CME and the mandatory certifications will be waived for the 2021 renewal.
4. Skills Signoff: still required
As skills are the one area that is most likely to degrade over time, the skill assessments remain a concern to ensuring safe care for our patients.
For members with no current restrictions:
- Skill assessments will still be required for the 2021 licence renewal.
- Only those members who have this requirement expiring December 31, 2020 are required to complete it.
For members with current restrictions:
- Members who have outstanding skill assessments (2020 licence restriction) must still complete them but will be granted an automatic extension until December 31, 2020. Those members who are impacted by this decision will be notified individually by the College.
- Skills assessors must have an instructor certification in BLS, PALS, ACLS, or ITLS and be at the same licence level or higher as the member being assessed. The skill being assessed must also be within the assessor’s scope of practice.
5. Other Restrictions: still apply
- Existing and new restrictions for other reasons (i.e.: Criminal Record Checks, Professional Conduct/Discipline restrictions, etc.) still apply and must be completed by their specific dates.
- Restrictions relating to labour mobility gap training requirements will be extended until December 31, 2020.
Members can check the status of their requirements by logging into their member account and clicking on “Licence Requirements”.
All members must still complete the renewal application form found in their Member Account.
Renewal will be open from October 1 through December 1.